“Millennials are technology-driven, social beings, visual learners, socially responsible, and more demanding than any generation before them”
Have you been avoiding millennial travelers? Deeming them “too much work” or “not worth the effort”? Well, you would be right. Almost. Millennials (defined by those born between 1980 and 1999) are more demanding than any generation before them. To put in the effort to attract and please millennials would entail completely rethinking your strategy, which could risk isolating other generations who have proven themselves loyal.
Why do it then? By 2030, millennials are expected to reach 78 million. If that isn’t compelling enough, then consider that despite constantly looking for good deals, they spend 42% more per business trip than any other generation and 62% have extended a business trip into a vacation.
How do you do it? While this fickle generation may seem hard to please, it boils down to getting a few things right:
- Be Local: 78% want to learn something new while traveling and 70% expect special places to offer an immersive experience.
- Go With the Flow: Millennials are 2-3 times more likely than other age groups to plan a trip within two weeks of leaving; make it easy for them to make last-minute travel plans.
- Show You Care: Millennials are the first generation to almost demand (at 62%) that hotels meet green standards. Demonstrate that you too are concerned about our environment, and you’ll be well on your way to earning their trust.
- Get Social: 93% are admittedly attached to the Internet and 80% sleep next to their smartphone. Allow them to connect with fast and reliable Wi-Fi, while connecting with them on social media or through a branded app.
- Snap Away: 76% of millennials are visual learners. Use this to your advantage by sharing photos prominently on social media and your website. By showing them what you have to offer, you will leave a much deeper impression than a list of amenities ever could.
If you haven’t already shown millennials some love, 2015 is a great time to start. Offer them a genuine, unique experience and you will be rewarded with free word-of-mouth advertising and loyalty for years to come. For more on why millennials shouldn’t be ignored, check out the guide on How to market to millennial travelers from HotelREZ.